Continuing with Urban Work’s coverage of Feast – PDX, I had the opportunity/privilege to volunteer at last Fridays, Portland Night Market. The event was held at one of Portland’s most well-known, historic buildings – the Ecotrust building , which was transformed into a lively, outdoor street market, filled with the buzz and aroma of an international food bazaar. Oh… Did I mention the lineup:
- Aviary, (PDX)
- Thomas Boyce, Bluehour (PDX)
- Hank Costello, Andina (PDX)
- Patrick Fleming, Boke Bowl (PDX)
- Scott Dolich, The Bent Brick (PDX)
- Gregory Gourdet, Departure (PDX)
- Eddie Huang, Baohaus (NYC)
- Scott Ketterman, Crown Paella (PDX)
- Dolan Lane, clarklewis (PDX)
- Anita Lo, Annisa (NYC)
- Ken and Jennifer Norris, Riffle NW (PDX)
- Nong Poonsukwattana, Nong's Khao Man Gai (PDX)
- Paul Qui, Uchiko (Austin)
- Andy Ricker, Pok Pok (PDX/NYC)
- Gabe Rosen, Biwa (PDX)
- Salt & Straw, (PDX)
- Philip Speer, Uchi (Austin)
- David Thompson, nahm (London, Bangkok)
- Rob Walls, Double Dragon (PDX)
- Johanna Ware, Smallwares (PDX)
I was stationed in the greeting/ticket line, but would periodically make my way to the food action, and sample whatever I could get my hands on. I know you’re wondering what my favorite dish was, but with so many heavy hitters its tough to have only one… With that said, I think the standouts of the night were:
Dolan Lane – Clark Lewis: Braised lamb on fried flatbread.
Gregory Gourdet – Departure: Braised pork over “poppy” rice; sweet tea & soy hard boiled eggs.
Patrick Fleming – Boke Bowl: Asian-fusion, shrimp jambalya?!?!... It was good!
From what I've heard and read, the rest of the event was an absolute success. Thanks to all who helped put this on, WE (Portland) can't wait till next year!